Bulbs for Spring 2021 – Get ‘Em While You Can!
Hold off on planting your spring bulbs until almost Thanksgiving, when danger of any early growth from warm spells has mostly passed. But DO stock up on your favorites this month, and the sooner the better. They tend to disappear fast and by planting time, you may find the pickins’ to be slim!
- Once you have chosen your favorite spring bulbs, here are a few easy steps to follow while planting:
- Prepare the soil by adding a little peat moss to help with drainage.
- Remember, roots down, pointed side up.
- Water thoroughly after planting.
- Plant in clumps of large groups rather than a single row for a prettier result
- Rake a layer of fallen leaves over the bulbs for extra bedding.
- If you have a problem with squirrels, moles and voles, spray your bulbs before you plant them with Messina Squirrel Stopper. It makes the bulbs bitter and therefore less likely to be disturbed by these critters.
- Check in with our friends at digdropdone.com for more tips.